Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Virtual tour

The three of us have lived in our apartment for almost a month!  Last night was the first time it felt like 'home.'  Once we arrived and unpacked a trip to Ikea was a must.  I ought to admit I have only shopped at Ikea online and never actually stepped foot in a store (gasp!.)  I had no idea what I was getting myself into!  Picture this. . . Ikea, in New York City, with back to school shoppers, a two week old, an exhausted husband, and in-laws.  After hours of shopping and people watching we were ready to check out.  Since none of us had any Ikea experience, we didn't know you needed to load all of your own items.  We thought you wrote down the number for the item you wanted to purchase, and it was that simple.  WRONG!  To make the story short and sweet we left with a trash can, dustpan, bathroom rug, and hallway rug.  What a waste of time!  The only thing I got out of the field trip was learning how to breastfeed in public, while standing up.

A couple days later we made an online order and delivery was a two week wait.  Oh, and did I mention that one of the items we needed was a couch?  Yes, that is right... we had to sit at our table, on a blow-up mattress, or the floor for two weeks.  Now that we have a couch and a glider, I feel like I'm in heaven!    

Since most of you who read this won't ever see our apartment in person, I thought I'd give you a look around!  Ben and I have worked hard at putting it together.  I am so thankful to have such a capable and handy husband!  I have to admit he did most of the work and I assisted!  Also, thanks Jeff and Kim who helped us move and get things in order.

The front of our apartment building!  The four windows to the left of the black gate belong to us.  When Jeff and Ben were unpacking the U-Haul they could hand most things through the window.  Also, when we make trips to costco we unload that way as well!  It makes it a lot easier so we got lucky!

This is the "courtyard."  Aren't courtyards supposed to be fancy?  This is what we look at through our  bedroom window as well as the bathroom window.  Yipee!

We have entered the building... after two locked doors.  The black door on the right is the elevator.  We take that bad boy to do our laundry, take out the trash, and to collect our mail.  The hallway on the left is where we are headed next!

Walk down this hall and take a left!

There is our door!  Do you get the picture yet?  It takes 3 doors to get into our house...

The hallway

We had to buy the butcher block with extra storage because look at this...

A baby kitchen!  Don't ever take your kitchen for granted.

Bathroom

Bedroom

Living/Baby Room

If anyone has any idea on how to stain a coffee table to match the rest of the room, let me know!

Couldn't leave Minnesota without a deer!

Ben measured our place and the grand total was 700 square feet.  We have met a few couples with children at the park and it sounds like this is normal for NYC.  One of the families even has 3 kids!  The good news is that when we finally get into a home it is going to feel like a mansion!  Everyone feel free to come visit, we love company!  





1 comment:

  1. Very cute! I definitely don't desire that kitchen (I love cooking), but the other rooms seem pretty good! I keep trying to convince the hubby to live there for a year, but still no luck. Lol. Hope you guys are liking it!

    ReplyDelete