Monday, September 24, 2012

The essentials!

I was talking to a friend recently that is pregnant with her first child.  As her due date is approaching, she is panicking about not having everything she needs to care for her baby.  Contrary to what you may have heard you do not need much to take care of a newborn.  Before my baby showers, Ben and I made a registry of items we needed.  While in Target we looked at each other, both of us completely overwhelmed, we couldn't help but wonder how people in the old days made it. Really it made us wonder what was necessary and what was just fluff.  Just because it's at target doesn't mean you need it.  As I started making a list for her, I figured I would blog to remember for next time and to help any other new moms out!

1. Diapers, wipes, desitin, baby powder.
*My sister, along with many others, told me to buy pampers.  I guess little boys pee out of the top of huggies?  Also a bonus, pampers has the yellow line that turns blue when it gets wet!  I also noticed with Charlie that the unscented wipes are less irritable on her skin then scented.
2. Car Seat
3. Stroller
4. Crib, mattress, mattress pad cover, and sheet
5. Dresser with changing table
6. Baby bath, shampoo/body wash, lotion, washcloths, and towels
7. Breast pump, breast milk storage bags, and nursing pads
*It's way cheaper to purchase your pump at the hospital!
8. Pacifiers
*Pacifier wipes are nice to have on hand in case if it falls on the ground!
9. Nail clippers, hair comb, snot sucker, thermometer, and medications
*Digital thermometer is the way to go it you can spend the extra money. Instant gas relief has also saved my life!  I've also heard gripe water is good for gas as well.
10. Diaper bag
*Portable changing pad for when you are in public places and need to change a diaper.
11. Rocking chair or glider
12. Clothes
*Don't go crazy on the newborn clothes.  Charlie is 6 weeks and has practically outgrown all her newborn clothes.
13. Blankets and burp cloths
14. Nursing bras
*You don't need to spend a ton of money on a bras.  I got mine from target and they are so comfortable.
15. Baby book
16. Baby laundry detergent
17. Monitor
*If you live in a large house a monitor would be nice, otherwise you don't need one.
18. Boppy
Not totally necessary (for me.)  But, I think for women who have c-sections these are a key item.
19. Moby wrap or some other form of hands free baby carrier

If anyone has other items they would like to suggest leave it in the comments!



6 comments:

  1. I know I'm all about Pampers but just wanted to let you know that Huggies Newborn diapers also have the wetness indicator plus they have a little cutout for the umbilical cord and Pampers doesn't. That's what they used at the hospital and we loved them! Maybe next time, if there is a next time, I'll have to stock up on those in size Newborn! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I will have to let Cheyanne know!

      Delete
  2. We actually used Huggies & the whole pee out the top thing can be avoided if you remember to direct their weewee (ha) down. Makes your life easier. Eventually we switched to Target brand diapers & honestly I can't tell the difference. Save yourself some money & buy them. :) And we only bought one pack of pacifiers. Peyton ended up not using them after a couple months. But every baby is different. Great list and seriously good advice. I think we bought way too many clothes & really you don't need as much as you'd think! Except diapers of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't know about the little boys but that makes sense about directing the peewee down :) We were in Costco last week and they were giving out diaper samples for Kirkland brand. We've used a couple and I do not like them at all. I will have to try the target brand!

      Delete
  3. My 2 cents :)
    -We prefer Boudreaux Butt Paste to Desitin. Desitin seemed to sting Cam's bum when he had a really good diaper rash.
    -I agree with buying Pampers for newborns. They are so soft! After size 1 though I switch to Luvs. Half the cost & really just as good. If you prefer Huggies then you will also like the Target brand. I buy generic wipes too... I feel like Huggies fall apart.
    -If you are going to buy a monitor I'd recommend splurging for a video monitor. I refused to the first go round because I felt like it was obnoxious, but after our first monitor broke I caved & have loved every second of it. It is fun to watch the weird things they do in their cribs. Chris & I both love being able to watch him fall asleep too.
    Good work Cari :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie had a sore butt a week after she was born and another good paste is called Tender Tush. The doctor also wrote us a prescription for 'poop goop.' I have never tried Luvs, I will give them a whirl! Thanks for the advice, I like to save money!

      Delete